Thursday, April 15, 2010

Special Retro Style Starbucks

Went to Starbucks today to meet up to organize work for my project that's coming up next month.  We actually didn't get to sit in the retro area since a couple were taking what looked like wedding photos.  The decor of the retro area of the Starbucks  is similar to that of old Hong Kong.  It is very meticulous and I've only seen such places in movies or other retro styled places, such as Shanghai Tang, it is very rare to find a genuine old style restaurant in Hong Kong anymore with the rapid turnover of places due to competitive renting and leasing of retail spaces.

The couple with the photography crew.  I tried to be discreet so I didn't get very good closeup shots.


More behind the scenes.


There's a Cuban coin there in the tip jar, spot it?




Old style windows, tables and seats.  You still find these sorts of seats common, but they too are fast disappearing.




This display is cute, it's a collage of the rear ends of Hong Kong vehicles.  The people's legs swing from side to side.


Old style TV and fan and little cupboard.  Reminds me of grandma's place, except she recently got a new TV, and her fan is new too.


Old style Chinese calendar, still commonly used though.


They still do this too, hand written menus.


The style of tiling used is quite rare now too.  I think there's a Chinese opera poster in the background.  Even the store room sign uses retro type typography.


Miscellaneous house hold goods.  The collaboration was between Goods Of Desire (G.O.D.) and Starbucks.   The only reference to G.O.D. efforts is in this shot, can you spot it?


More random stuff, I like the toy astronaut/robot.


More menus, didn't take a photo of the actual Starbucks counter but they have the normal style menu there.


Back to reality *phew*, we were sitting here discussing our project for a mock marketing proposal for a fictional Alzheimer's drug.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Man the retro side kinda makes me cringe. hahah I know it's clean, but the modern side looks much comfier and sanitized. hahaha maybe I'll have to see it in person to appreciate it more? hah not a first date place I'd like to go to :P

Tev said...

cringe? haha do explain...
This starbucks is near the gas lamp I posted about by the way.