Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just Some Thoughts...

Today it was raining hard.  I don't know why but that brought the dragonflies out and they were flying everywhere.  I thought it was rather strange since once the dragonflies started flying around they started dying when the droplets hit them and they started to stick to the ground in puddles on the ground.  I might be thinking about it too much but it also reminds me of the people in the world who do not know God, who do not have direction in their lives and like the dragonflies, they are headed in the wrong direction of the rain rather than that of safety and shelter.  I guess it really struck me because dragonflies are also God's created beings, how can they survive out in the rain?  Seemingly some people are also created and destined to fail.  However, I remember what Jesus did for us at the cross, and I remember that we are not deserving of God's mercy. but that it is only through His grace that we can receive it through the belief in His son, our Lord Jesus.  Unlike the fate of the lost dragonflies, there are many Christians in the world who have God in their hearts and have therefore dedicated their lives those people who lost in the world without faith.  I am thankful for you and those people at Alpha who have helped to guide me to my faith.  I skipped out on care group today to come home to rest and eat with my parents, and I'm most likely going to skip out on worship that I was going to go to with high school friends this Friday and Saturday night.  I think care group is really great, it's a stopping point in the week where I can get back to the fundamentals and enjoy fellowship with fellow Christians.  I've missed going these past two weeks.  Hopefully this lung issue won't effect the upcoming weeks and months too much.

I've finally gotten to the good part in my book 'Bomb, Book and Compass', past all the nonsense of the life of the Chinese history writer from the 50's.  I think it's good to get a good picture of the man, even with his flaws with his issues of polygamy, because we all have our flaws.  But now that I've read past that I've gotten to the good chunk of the book, about how he dug up old Chinese scientific and cultural contributions that affect us even today.  At that time (during the second world war) conventional Western wisdom dictated that Chinese people were backwards in terms of scientific discoveries and knowledge and that most of the modern knowledge of the time originated from Western countries.  Most of us now know that this is wrong, and that due to many years of stagnation, the rich cultural and scientific past of China was unknown to the Western world.  I'll probably start talking more about these Chinese inventions and discoveries as they come along.

2 comments:

Esther said...

hehe reminds me of this song called the waltz of the dragonflies. it sounded really sad. probably woulda suited the moood.

Esther said...

polygamy's not a flaw. it's a continual action you choose to follow through. it's not really a one time thing but a choice. flaws are like characteristics you show up from time to time but can be improved over all.