Friday, March 26, 2010

Tapas with Beer

Good food, good cold beer, good company :). I had dinner with my friends in Central tonight, in Lan Kwai Fong.

We had a bunch of dishes: pizza, salsa on toast, lamb skewers and lastly (as shown in the photos) ribs and nachos. I'm glad the photos came out well, one of them came out dark but I was able to manage to edit it in Picasa before posting it. Guess which one was edited? Afterwards we went for frozen yogurt, then called it a night. It was nice meeting up with my high school friends again, we're thinking of going out again for dinner in the next couple of weeks.

On my my way home with my friend I saw a lot of drunk/rowdy people in the MTR. I guess right now is the beginning of the qualifying games for the Rugby 7's in Hong Kong. Rugby 7's is a variant on regular rugby in that there are 7 players, instead of the usual 15, per team with each half playing for only 7 minutes, making for a fast paced, offensive focused game. The rowdy people in the MTR were all wearing pink rugby shirts and they were making noise on a little trumpet. One of the people in the large group of rugby fans accidently started going up the down escalator so the whole crowd started cheering her on to run to the top. She successfully did it, although I think one of the MTR staff turned off the escalator just before she reached the top for security reasons. The Rugby 7's in Hong Kong is the single largest party event of the year, people traditionally go to watch rugby and party and get drunk. I've never been but then again tickets are rather expensive. I read this news article and I guess since it's from BusinessWeek it was hard to tell that the story was actually about rugby and not finance.

Also, somewhat random, but I found this commentary from Gizmodo about Google pulling out of China and censorship issues and how that relates to previous Western Imperialism. The writer's (actually he's one of the head writers) parents are evidently from Hong Kong so he spent a his summers here. I found this paragraph interesting:

China should fear Google, as a government, and a people. And even as people scared of their own government, and people like my father, a capitalist living in Hong Kong, who often defends China's right to freedom from western influence. Seeing the perverse effects of westernization on Hong Kong, good and bad—a land where a few years ago it had the most Rolls Royces per capita of any country, where shopping seems to be the national past time, and with no major art museums—I don't blame China for being wary of big business: "Regrettably, Google's recent behaviors show that the company not just aims at expanding business in China, but is playing an active role in exporting culture, value and ideas."



2 comments:

Esther said...

the food looks yummy and it sounds good with cold beer :)

it's interesting...i never though much about google's impact on culture. I didn't know hk didn't have any big art museums..guess ppl are too busy making money o.0 but we did see some small art galleries scattered about.

Esther said...

Rugby 7 is kinda like the football phenomenon in the US huh even though the sport seems a lot more aggressive in general.