Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alice in Wonderland: Mini Review

So I only missed a few minutes of the movie and I managed to catch when Alice's husband to be proposes to her. He's pretty funny, in a pathetic way. I liked the movie for several reasons: 1. Tim Burton's imagination 2. Helena Bonham Carter 3. Johnny Depp 4. Minor characters who I recognized. I liked the reinterpretation of Alice, it was darker but not too dark. I think my major complaint was that the 3D often didn't feel very 3D. I read a little about the making of the movie and instead of shooting directly in 3D the artists would later put the different parts of the shots into 3D layers, but each layer seems a little flat so it doesn't feel like true 3D. The movie might have been better off as a regular 2D movie.

Here are a few of my favorite actors/voice actors that came up in the movie, and a comparison to other roles they played.

Alan Rickman's voice (it's Snape!)













The flirty Helena Bonham Carter (looking better back who knows when on the left) as the red queen




















Matt Lucas as tweedledum and tweedledee: You probably don't know him but he's a British comedian from the series Little Britain. The humor's a bit coarse but I still find it funny. Here's one of the more tasteful skits, he's the fat one in the wheelchair.
























Stephen Fry: Another British comedian. He used to have a show with Hugh Laurie (House!). He's the cheshire cat.


\











[edit] Comments about the actress who played Alice: The new actress was pretty decent, she was suitable for the role. She wasn't amazing but she played the famous lines well enough. [spoiler] At the end after Alice comes out of the hole she wakes up and realizes that she should decide her own destiny, decline the marriage proposal and go to Hong Kong to help continue her dad's shipping business. I thought it was an interesting ending, I'm sure the audiences here appreciated the little detail at the end with a chuckle.

3 comments:

Esther said...

hehe i knew you'd like it :) I'll take a look at hte clips when I come back from class...thanks for putting them up :)

Esther said...

hehei watched the clips...in the last one, is the comedian the dad or the principal? it was a bit hard to watch...poor boy..hahah...the guy in teh wheelchair kinda looks like his cartoon character :)

how was alice? you didn't say anything about her. i can't wait to watch it :)

Tev said...

The comedian is the principle. Didn't you recognize House? He's the dad!