Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Summary of Chinese Learned At Work

I thought it might be useful if I summarized some of the Chinese I've learned at work, perhaps you might learn some new characters, certainly since they're simplified, I still can't figure out an easy way to type traditional since I use pinyin input. The dictionaries I use are the CEDICT Chinese-English dictionary and the 21st Century English-Chinese Bidirectional Dictionary through the Lingoes dictionary program (it's free to download). When I hear something being said I'll try to type the pinyin correctly into Chinese characters and see whether the definition in the dictionary matches the context in which I heard the phrase.

恐怖 (kong3 bu4): According to the dictionary this means terrifying. The context I heard it in was when Phd was talking about how the vast amounts of cells kept in petri dishes by another lab worker.

赶紧 (gan3 jin3): To do things in hurry. I actually learned this inadvertently when I actually heard the next word...

干净 (gan1 jing4): Clean. Heard in context of 洗干净, since stuff in the lab often needs to be clean so as not to contaminate samples.

(lan3): Lazy. You can probably guess the context.

认真(ren4 zhen1): Used to describe me from time to time. I thought it meant busy but according to the dictionary it's more along the lines of 'take seriously'.

试验(shi4 yan4): Experiment. One of the first words I learned.

(du2): Poisonous. Used to describe whether our drugs are effective against cancer cells or not.

小/大老板 (lao3 ban3): 小老板 is my boss. 大老版 is the guy who's there, even on Sundays, and enjoys walking around the labs. He does have a purpose of course, I think he's been coming more frequently also because of the new lab room that just opened with the new employees coming in.

(pian4): To deceive, to cheat.

(sha3): Foolish. Mentioned when I tell a bad joke.

(sha1): Er... To kill, murder. I found this by accident when trying to look up the above word.

(kun4): To feel sleepy. Phd mentions this when she feels like dozing off.

中联办 (zhong1 lian2 ban4): Liason office. 北大 mentioned he needed to go there before he left.

钥匙 (yao4 shi): Key. I lock up my laptop in a drawer so I need it in the morning and when I leave. I usually get it by myself but one of these days, when I remember how to say 钥匙 I'll ask someone to pass them to me.

手机 (shou3 ji1): Cell phone. It's prounced with an extra word in Canto so I didn't quite catch this at first.

恭喜(gong1 xi3): Congratulations. Said after a long experiment.

成功 (cheng2 gong1): Success. After a long experiment.

坏掉 (huai4 diao4): Broken. Our water purifier, a very vital piece of equipment since almost all experiments need pure water, was broken for a long time. You can't imagine how happy I was when it was fixed. The machine is surprisingly complicated and expensive, we go through a lot of effort to have pure water. I think that it's funny that before the machine was fixed we would sometimes use distilled drinking water since its purity is good enough for our experiments. I guess in the long run it would be more expensive to buy water on a regular basis rather than have an expensive machine that purifies water for a long time.

分手 (fen1 shou3): You already heard about this one. Boss and Phd were jokingly asking when I would break up with you.

(fen4): Portion. I think this is the right word? I heard it being used to describe a routine work in the lab, where we split a big bottle of a solution into smaller bottles.

(ding4): To place an order. Mentioned when we order stuff for the lab.

(pei4): To make up (a prescription). Used in the context of mixing powders into solution or making other simple routine chemical solutions in the lab.

打水 (da4 shui3): Fetch water. Context is for when we fetch water for our flasks for drinking, or to fetch pure water when our water purifier was broken. At first I thought it would be a 'da' that I didn't know, I didn't figure it would be this 打.

I think that's all for today. Hopefully you found this interesting/useful.

1 comment:

Esther said...

hehe that was fun and interesting to read :)