Saturday, July 30, 2011

Certified Copy

So I went to watch another art house film with my friend Mark.  I had previously watched the movies Before Sunrise (which I found out has a whopping 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes!) and Before Sunset with Mark and Certified Copy definitely reminded me of those two movies.  Certified Copy begins by the main character British writer James Miller giving a talk to an Italian audience on his book on the topic of originals and copies in the art world.  A French antiques dealer, whose name is not given, comes to attend the talk but leaves soon after entering since her son is hungry.  She leaves her phone number with the book's Italian translator.  Later James Miller comes over to talk with the French lady at her store and they begin on a short expedition to a town 30 minutes away from where they are.  The movie mainly revolves around their dialogue and the beautiful scenery of Italy.  Their conversation starts to take a strange twist when whilst at a cafe the woman who runs the cafe starts to talk to the lady as if Miller was the lady's husband.  When Miller returns after having been talking on the phone the lady informs Miller that the cafe owner thinks that they are a married couple.  Soon after Miller and the lady start talking as if they were truly married, to comedic effect.  I think the movie really portrays human emotions well and I think the mystery around whether the two are married or not is entertaining.  A really 'talkie' movie, enjoyable smart dialogue, I give it an 8/10.

No comments: