Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shaolin (新少林寺)

I'll start off by saying that this is the most pro-Buddhist movie I have ever seen.  The movie doesn't stop to promote the Buddhist ideals of peace, harmony, community and zen despite all of the action going on.  The main plot revolves around a fallen general who changes his wicked ways and becomes a shaolin monk.  He trains in the Shaolin martial arts ways and becomes a good monk, defending the people from his power hungry former officer.  I guess I'm not into all the emotional stuff in this movie.  All the crying is just a bit too much for me.  The action scenes were pretty good though and I guess I sympathize with some of the Buddhist ideals.  I guess I like the lesson in this movie that that we can all repent from our sins and change our ways, which is similar to that of Christian ideology but obviously different in its execution and faith.  Great acting skills from lead Andy Lau and Nicholas Tse, Jackie Chan added a few laughs too.  A very serious movie, I guess I'd prefer something lighthearted, then again the most movie I'll probably watch is Black Swan, though my reason for seeing it is mostly for Natalie Portman, maybe I should watch No Strings Attached instead for the same reason?  To be continued...

No comments: